Wednesday 14 October 2009

Pokerface

One of my "development areas" (which means weaknesses) at work is that I am too easy to read and I need to develop a pokerface. I think that's a criticism of my personality more than anything, but that's another post.

Anyway, the point is, I spectacularly failed to display a poker face when I went on a work social tonight to the theatre. Now, I like the theatre. I really enjoy going to see plays. Unfortunately what we went to see tonight was "avant-garde theatre" - which I now understand means theatre with no theme, characterisation, understandable dialogue or point. So I walked out. I walked out and left my colleagues in there because I thought it was pretentious bollocks masquerading as art. Someone with a pokerface would have stayed and said "Oh I thought they needed to develop the deconstructive elements more." I just fucking bailed because it was shit. And what annoys me is that tomorrow they'll all poke fun at me. But essentially it's the emperors new clothes. And it was so awful I couldn't bear it. I actually cried with anger on the bus home. There are so many fantastic plays and ideas and actors out there. And I paid £22 for a pile of wank.

No comments:

Post a Comment