Wednesday 5 August 2009

A different life

I feel slightly pole-axed tonight. Don't get me wrong, everything in my life is hunky-dory - work is fine, tied for first place in the pub quiz, a random guy at work commented on how much weight I'd lost, yada yada yada.

My mum left me a voicemail telling me that SR had been found dead. SR is a girl that I went to primary school with. I was friends with her from the age of about 9-11. She was a smart girl, she and I were by far the two brightest kids in the class. But when we went to high school we lost touch, though I was aware her life was going off the rails. I'd heard on the grapevine that she'd been hospitalised for anorexia in her twenties. And more recently I'd heard that she was drinking heavily. Poor, poor girl. Who could have ever forseen that things could have turned out so badly. I wonder what it was that made it so difficult for her to turn things around.

I'm going to try and appreciate all the good things in my life and all the people I love and who love me. Poor, poor SR.

No comments:

Post a Comment