Thursday 4 June 2009

Busy bee

Tonight was my third consecutive night out of this week. I'm also due to go out for B's birthday drinks tomorrow and dinner and drinks with Soo and N on Friday. I'll be glad when Saturday night comes for a rest!

Tonight I went to see "In the loop" which is a film about the civil service and the machinations behind going to war. It was a hoot and I howled with laughter. I'm convinced I personally know at least two of the characters in the film. The best bit was the incredibly inventive swearing of Malcolm Tucker, the PM's Special Adviser. I especially liked the bit where he called the wet Oxbridge wonk "Shut it, Love Actually." *

I don't think I'm going to vote tomorrow, partly because I'm having to spend the day in Tunbridge Wells but also because I can't think who to vote for.

Edit * I got it wrong, that line is actually said by the other Scottish sweary man. Here it is in context:

Jamie MacDonald: All right, that's enough with the fucking Oxbridge pleasantries.
Toby Wright: Wh... What's Oxbridge about saying hello?
Jamie MacDonald: SHUT IT, Love Actually! You want me to hole-punch your face?

My other favourite exchange is the one between the Minister and the Special Adviser:
Simon Foster: So what are we going back to, apart from a nice cup of tea and some knife crime? Toby Wright: Constituency surgery in Northamptonshire.
Simon Foster: Oh, great. Meeting my constituents. It's like being Simon Cowell, only without the ability to say, "Fuck off, you're mental".

I fucking love this film!

No comments:

Post a Comment