Tuesday 12 May 2009

Control freak

Today's exercise tally: 30 minutes of upper body work (which was really easy - I must not be doing it right.) And 30 minutes of core stability (basically just breathing and stretching). I'm trying not to run before I can walk but I want results NOW.

I realised how much I'm a control freak when I was getting some career coaching the other week. First of all, I asked my coach what we were going to discuss in advance so that I could prepare. ( I don't like surprises.) And one of the questions I had to think about was "How much control do you have over your life?" And without thinking twice I wrote "I have absolute control." And it's true. I only do exactly what I want to do. And I never do things that I don't want to do. And in some ways that's ok because I am a nightmare when I have to do things I don't like. I either go into a massive huff or I moan constantly. So experience has taught me to say early "No, I do not wish to play rounders, go paintballing, or surfing, or camping." But the risk is that I take no risks in life, shutting down possibilities that might actually be fun. So I guess I should follow Danny Wallace's example and say yes more.

But, thinking about it, I guess I'm benefiting from feminism. I have a range of choices open to me that women didn't have even 40 years ago. I don't have to have children, or stay at home; I can work in an interesting job, I can travel pretty much where I want. So I should perhaps relax a bit.

Update: I have signed up online to run the women's challenge 5k run in September in aid of Maggie's Cancer Care centres. I know 5k isn't much for most people, but it is longer than I have run in about 20 years....

No comments:

Post a Comment